Saturday, June 8, 2013

We All Scream For Ice Cream!!!


I had to post this picture and kind of brag on myself.  I'm normally absolutely terrible with chore charts, discipline boards, or anything else that might require me to stick with one idea.  This is something that I have actually used for almost 2 years, and it has worked wonders!  

The idea of this "chart" is not to lose any scoops during the week.  As long as one scoop is still left, there is a reward.  Each time one of the kids misbehaves, they have to go to the refrigerator and move a scoop off the top of the cone.  They have a chance to move the scoops back up if they do something really nice or helpful.  I make sure to look for the times that the kids are doing extra nice things, and sometimes they even point out their own good behaviors. :)  The kicker is, if they lose all of the scoops, then there is no reward at the end of the week.  And the reward is... ice cream, of course!    If any of the kids have actually kept all 5 scoops on their cone all week, they get extra toppings on their ice cream.  

I used a template like this one "ice cream scoops" and had the kids cut them out and color their own ice cream cone and scoops.  I laminated all of it (with a few extras) and then stuck a Scotch Restickable Strip on the back of each piece.  I had to replace the sticky strips a few times over the two years, but I used the same package and still have some left-over.

So, there you have it.  It's a great system that also benefits the parents.  Why?  Because we get ice cream every Friday, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment